Install Ssl Certificate Ubuntu 18.04 Nginx
Introduction To SSL And Why We Need It
SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is a security technology commonly used on the Internet to securely transmit data between web browsers and web servers. In its simplest form, SSL can be thought of as encryption/decryption between client and server. It works by encrypting the connection between the client and the server, thus providing an extra layer of security and preventing eavesdropping.
SSL is important for any website that deals with sensitive data or information. Without SSL, the data sent between the browser and the web server can be intercepted and read, which can lead to theft of user data, confidential information, or loss of money. SSL also helps to authenticate the website to its visitors, and to show that it’s a trusted website to do business with.
Requirements For Installing SSL Certificate Ubuntu 18.04 Nginx
Installing an SSL certificate on a Ubuntu 18.04 server running Nginx as a web server requires the following:
- A valid domain name.
- A public IP address.
- A hosting plan with a hosting provider.
- Access to the server with root privileges.
- Certbot running on the server.
- An SSL certificate.
Steps To Installing SSL Certificate Ubuntu 18.04 Nginx
- Prepare Your Web Server: Before installing the SSL certificate, you need to make sure that your web server is properly configured.
- Enable Nginx’s server_tokens off directive and remove unneeded lines in Nginx’s configuration file.
- Make sure that all the necessary ports are open on the server.
- Check the domain name, IP address, and nameservers settings.
- Purchase an SSL Certificate: You need to purchase an SSL certificate from a Certificate Authority (CA). There are many reputable CAs available, such as DigiCert, Symantec, and Comodo. The type of SSL certificate you need will depend on your website’s requirements.
- Generate a CSR File: Before you can install the SSL certificate, you need to generate a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) file. You can generate the CSR file on the server using OpenSSL. Once you have generated the CSR file, you need to submit it to the CA to get the SSL certificate.
- Install The SSL Certificate: Once the CA has issued the SSL certificate, you need to install it on the server. You can use the Certbot utility to install the SSL certificate on the server. Certbot will configure Nginx automatically after the SSL certificate has been successfully installed.
- Test The SSL Certificate: After the SSL certificate has been successfully installed, you need to test it to make sure that it is working correctly. You can use the SSL Labs tool to test the SSL certificate.
Troubleshooting SSL Certificate Issues
If you are having any issues with your SSL certificate, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem:
- Check the domain name and IP address settings.
- Make sure the CSR file is correctly generated.
- Check the SSL certificate to make sure it is valid and not expired.
- Check the Nginx configuration file for any errors.
- Run the SSL Labs test to check the SSL certificate configuration.
- If the problem still persists, contact the CA support for help.
How Do I Obtain My SSL Certificate?
Obtaining an SSL certificate is fairly easy. You first need to select a reliable and trusted Certificate Authority (CA) to purchase the SSL certificate. Once you have chosen a CA, you need to generate a CSR file and submit it to the CA. The CA will then give you theSSL certificate, which you need to install on the server. Finally, you can test the SSL certificate to make sure that it is working correctly.
Installing an SSL certificate on a Ubuntu 18.04 server running Nginx is a straightforward process. With the instructions provided, you should be able to install the SSL certificate quickly and easily. If you have any issues with the SSL certificate installation, you can always contact the CA support for assistance.
Thank You for reading this article. Please Read Other Articles.
Q: What is SSL?
A: SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is a security technology commonly used on the Internet to securely transmit data between web browsers and web servers.
Q: Why do I need SSL?
A: SSL is important for any website that deals with sensitive data or information. Without SSL, the data sent between the browser and the web server can be intercepted and read.
Q: What do I need to install an SSL Certificate?
A: You need to have a valid domain name, a public IP address, a hosting plan with a hosting provider, access to the server with root privileges, Certbot running on the server, and an SSL certificate.